Thursday, March 01, 2007

Mine!


My newest favorite way to procrastinate is by watching "Engaged and Underage" on MTV. The overwhelming majority of the soon-to-be-newlyweds on that show are nineteen years old. I used to consider it to be only generally true that nineteen year-olds shouldn't get married, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should firm that up a bit. I have never heard anyone say "Mine!" as much as these girls do. Every time one of them does not get her way, she starts saying, "But it's my ____________!" Usually it is not something big--a stripper-free bachelor party that she doesn't believe will be stripper-free (and inevitably is), adding another ceremony or reception to make things accessible to all the family involved (that the groom's family will pay for and plan anyway), and the like. Sometimes things even devolve into full-on tantrums. One girl even sat there and gasped out "Mine! Mine!" as she sobbed in protest to the groom's family's additional ceremony, even though it didn't infringe on the one she had planned in any way.

You know, the Fiance family and the Del Sol family haven't exactly seen eye-to-eye on very much at all re: the wedding, but I think I can honestly say that I've spent more time just trying to blend a happy medium among all the parents involved and hearing all of them tell me it is my wedding than I have spent running around telling them all that it is my wedding. Maybe that means I am not assertive enough in some people's books, but I'd be just as happy getting married in a closet with the lights out as I would be having a huge ceremony. These kids should realize that this is a big commitment and a big transition and that just because you want to get married doesn't mean that you are ready to get married. And its NOT a wedding; it's a marriage.

These girls are NUTS, and the young men are even NUTSER for marrying them.

Yep. Nutser. It's a word. As of now.

1 comment:

Ann said...

That'll preach, sister. Amen.