Sunday, October 15, 2006

This Is Going to Be Awkward....



Much to my relief, my financial situation has now resolved itself in such a way that I will be able to return to law school next term. Next term, however, begins on November 6, so that puts me needing to put in my two weeks' notice to the hotel...oh...now-ish.

Here is the dilemma: As far as the hotel is concerned, I did tell them that I was here indefinitely. While this is technically true, that word often suggests a longer, rather than shorter, period of time. I don't think that anyone here had any idea at all that this could be just a month long stint. I like my manager though, and I'd like to be courteous enough to give her the full notice.

But.

After having spoken to people who have quit the hotel, there is about a fifty-fifty chance that once I turn in my notice, I won't be working anymore (i.e., I might as well have given a day's notice because I won't be working another two weeks.) I absolutely need the income for another two weeks, so I pose the question to you, dear reader: what to do?

Ought I give the full two weeks to be polite and risk losing two weeks more of pay? Or do I wait a week, and then give notice, knowing that I will have at least one more week's pay?

4 comments:

darling24_7 said...

Ohhhh what a predicament. Hmm I know its late. What did you end up doing? depends on how you want to end it with mgmt.

OsoDelSol said...

I haven't done anything yet. I don't go back in until Wednesday.

I like my manager (the one that is directly over me.) The company itself--I don't care so much about. And I live like 700 miles away.

I was thinking about telling them once the schedule for what will be my last week is made out.

What do you think?

conservative son said...

I think you should just break into a cash register and walk out the front door, never to return again.

OsoDelSol said...

Sounds like a plan. I'll do it if Little Man can back me up.