Saturday, October 28, 2006

I Don't Really Want to Go Here


Ok. More weird celebrity stuff that I want to ignore, but I can't because if I do I will have an aneurysm, and you will find me dead on the floor, and we will all know why.

This quote keeps popping up all over the place:

"I shocked myself," he says of his performance of a trash-talking teen. "There were parts that I wish I would have done different, but there are parts that really took me, like, 'Wow, did I do that?' I looked at myself and I was like, 'It looked good. It looked perfect.'"

That was Kevin Federline on his C.S.I. appearance, which you can see here.

Two things that bother me about this:

  1. It's not that long. This quote gives me visions of his sitting at home with the remote and poking Britney every time he notices something new about his stunning performance which he has set to play on a repeating loop. This kind of awed behavior over one's own very brief performance is only okay to admit when done so with a certain sense of naïveté best pulled off by very young girls rather than, well, K-Fed.
  2. In acting, as well as in life, K-Fed doesn't demonstrate just a whole lot of range. I don't even feel he is playing a character here--well at least not a character beyond himself. I feel we can consider his persona to be something of a character anyway, but this is still just the same one. I'm not feeling the angst. I'm also wondering just a teensy bit, where his urban factor comes from. I suspect that there might be a fake factor as well any time a white person acts like this on this grand of a scale without a tale of an inner city childhood. I tend to feel like Federline needs to authenticate some cultural ties here that I can't seem to dig up on the Internet (hard to find anything pre-back-up-dancing.) Maybe someone should send him a MySpace message about it. Might make us all feel better to know, since knowing is half the battle.

No comments: